Monday, January 14, 2008

Nanggroe Atjeh Darussalam (Negara Aceh Darussalam)


OK, I didn't visit the whole country. I only went to the capital, Banda Aceh.

We took last Friday's flight, and came back on Sunday (yesterday).
Highlight of the trip? What else, the Tsunami area (25 Dec 2004), of course.
And I have to admit that I was 3 year's late :-(

More stories to come later (after I finished my Chiangmai's?)..

But, here are some pix to share:

This fishing boat landed on a house, but at least the people in the house were saved by this boat!



1st part of the ship that supplied the power to the land. Before the tsunami, it was offshore, of course - some 4km away from this spot.


2nd part of the ship. It landed on at least 3 homes, and the occupants weren't lucky at all. We were told that the bodies crushed under it were never recovered- too dangerous!



We ended our short stay there with a dinner outing in the open space with Mr Howard Yamaguchi, DH's Internet friend from the Malsingmaps group. This pic was taken outside Hotel Sulthan, where we stayed.


Me, Howard and Bok

May be you can visit our photo gallery for more pix of the trip.

7 Comments:

Blogger Howard said...

Sabariah,

Great blog! So many pictures of me! malu-lah!

Thank you for remembering that I can't SMS outside to Indonesia! I have e-mailed Time Griggs, who I think may have Mike Potts' e-mail address. Tim was teaching at SIC when I was in KB.

It was great meeting all of you in Banda Aceh! Your blog has inspired me to do more blogging ... I am so far behind! Lots of pictures and topics waiting to be blogged!

Cheers!

Howard Yamaguchi

3:11 PM  
Blogger busymum100 said...

Howard,

You can see Mr Potts & Mr Wolfe (I hope I got his name right) visiting the batik factory in 1975 (school trip)

Batik Factory

I am the one with the long plaits :-)

4:03 PM  
Blogger Howard said...

Thank you for the photo. Was that at Che' Minah 's factory?

It's been so long that I don't remember the faces that well. However, I seem to remember that Mike had those big eyeglasses, so I think that in the photo, the guy with the specs is Mike Potts. I will forward the link to Tim Griggs and we'll see what Tim says!

Howard

4:23 PM  
Blogger busymum100 said...

I know I went to Hajjah Che Minah's place while I was a student then, but I am sure if those pix were taken there. I think we also visited another batik factory then.

I really hope we can trace Mike Potts.

And yes... please continue blogging from Aceh, I enjoy reading them :-)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Howard said...

Sabariah,

Finally got hold of Tim Griggs again. He said he taught science and English at SIC.

Stay tuned for wedding picture blog from Aceh!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Howard said...

Sabariah, please check out http://howard-aceh.blogspot.com to see the wedding pictures. I'll try to post another blog this weekend.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Howard said...

Sabariah,

Please check out http://howard-aceh.blogspot.com for another entry. It shows an ikan bakar restaurant --- the meal that I wanted our dinner to be when I saw you guys in Banda Aceh!

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home