Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Chocolate Snow Drops

Chocolate snow drops ready for storage in my tupperware :-)
The teaspoon is there for comparison of size only..

This is our favourite recipe every time Raya comes. I got it from one of the Australian Family Circle magazines (May 27th, 1983 issue - thanks to Arfi for the info on the exact issue <- updated on 7th Aug 2009), in the early 1980s (while I was still a student there). These little cookies are so simple to make and yet never fail to please those who have tried, except those who just don't like chocolate flavoured food or don't like cookies!!

I promised somebody to put up the recipe here, so here are the ingredients:

125g butter
3 tablespoon icing sugar
2/3 cup plain flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
i cup chopped almond
extra icing sugar for coating

So, what do we do with them?

Method:
Cream (beat) butter with sugar until creamy. Mix well the flour and cocoa powder together (shift them together if you wish).Then add chopped almond and the flour+cocoa into the creamy mix. Stir until they are all well-mixed. REFRIGERATE the soft dough until it is firm enough to handle (sometimes I make the dough during the day, and leave it in the fridge. I'd only continue at night - no problemo!) .

When the dough is firm enough to handle, roll them into small balls (the size of a marble, or say, abt 1.5cm in diameter). Arrange them in a greased baking tin. Bake in moderate oven for about 15-20 mins.

When they are cooked, take the baking thin out, wait for it to cool a bit, then remove the cookies (that are now of the shape of little domes) onto a rack to cool them.
Makes between 40-50 cookies, depending on the size of the balls.

Before you put the cookies away to store, roll them in icing sugar, to have the dusty white coating!! Hence the name chocolate snow drops!!! They are suitable for vegetarians and vegans too!!


Hint: Since this recipe requires a lot of chopped almond, do not buy them in the small packets at the supermarket. Instead, go to a bakery supplier shop to buy in bulk. Last year it costs RM28 per kg, as compared to almost RM45 per kg if you were to buy from the little packets (put together)!!

Now, anyone wants to order?? LOL!!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger MrsNordin said...

I suppose, instead of Almonds, can we use other types of nut?

11:13 AM  
Blogger busymum100 said...

MrsN,

I tried using groundnuts, but they are not as nice as almonds :-(

11:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello. so glad you had tried the recipe. Please, give a credit to my blog post on this because the original recipe is not mine, and you need to put the original recipe, otherwise, you'll breach the Family Circle copyright. Thanks.
http://www.homemadesbyarfi.com/2007/12/cookies-in-jar-cookies-in-jar.html

12:39 PM  
Blogger busymum100 said...

Arfi,

I did mention that I got the recipe from a magazine, but unfortunately I got the name wrong. It's from the Australian Family Circle (May 27, 1983 issue - thanks to your blog), alright, and not from the Australian Women's Weekly. When I was blogging, I didn't have the magazine with me (it is still in one of the boxes of my old stuff), so I could not initially state the exact issue. The list of the main ingredients has been on my fridge for years...

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home